How to Use Essential Oils to Fight Germs
In general, reducing our exposure and enhancing immune protection is our best defense. At the first indication of a symptom, strike back quick and hard. Oils that are an important part of your germ fighting arsenal and that are good to have around are; On Guard, Oregano, Cinnamon, Myrrh, Thyme, Basil, Clove, Lemon, Peppermint, and the aromatouch oils. These essential oils have the ability to kill bacteria, fungi and viruses, get down into the cellular level and make things right. Essential Oils are proven natural combatants to boost the immune system and protect us from and combat against flu strains including the swine flu.
1. Establish the daily routine of applying On Guard on the bottom of feet (for yourself as well as family members) both morning and night, which creates long-lasting and consistent protection.
2. . Diffuse essential oils in your home. Studies have shown that diffusing essential oils is highly effective with regard to killing airborne bacteria and viruses. Improving the air quality in your home is an important step in keeping your family healthy. Consider asking your child’s teacher to allow a diffuser in the classroom. Diffused oils don’t just mask odors; they actually alter the structure of the molecules that create odors – rendering them harmless. They also increase the available oxygen in the room and produce negative ions which kill microbes. Testing at Weber State University proves conclusively that diffusing essential oils kills life-threatening airborne micro-organisms. A few essential oils that top the list for enhancing immunity and killing airborne bacteria are On Guard, Purify, Lavender, and Melaleuca.
Put the the blend – Breathe™ in a diffuser and run every other ½ hour till symptoms subside.If symptoms have already come on strong, consider adding several drops of the blend breathe to a pot of boiling water, then place your head over the pot with a towel over our head, making a “steam tent”. Use caution when around the hot water, especially with children.
3. Drink plenty of water. Adding a few drops of your favorite citrus oil will enhance your body’s natural defenses. Put about 1 drop of lemon oil or peppermint for every 8oz of water you and your family drink. Over time this will greatly strengthen the immune system.
4. Disinfect. Viruses and bacteria are found in staggering numbers on surfaces. Use essential oils to thoroughly clean and disinfect all surfaces you and your family come in contact with. A mixture of Wild Orange, On Guard, and Thyme is especially potent. Diluting the mixture with water in a small glass spray bottle can easily be used anywhere, anytime. Simply spray and wipe for germ-free surfaces on the go.
You can also combine several drops of Citrus Bliss™ in a small spray bottle with distilled water and spray bed linens before bed time, or car interiors, bathrooms or office areas. This will kill airborne virus and strengthen the immune system, and deodorize the area with an unbelievable aroma.
5. Wash Your Hands. Wash and wipe your hands using essential oils or On Guard soap or hand wipes Adding essential oils to your favorite soap increases effectiveness. Purify, On guard or lemon in a spray bottle used for cleaning will assure pathogen free surfaces.
Wipes recipe #1
15-20 drops on guard or purify essential oil blend
1 cup distilled water
Take a roll of quality paper towels rip about 20-25 of them into single squares, then cut them in half. Put the towels in the bottom of a bowl or casserole dish and add the mixture. Let the liquid soak up, then lightly ring out some of the moister. You can now place the wipes in a discarded wipe container or a plastic sealable bag. If there is liquid left over, make some more wipes.
Teach children to use them often, and to be careful of their eyes after use or if they use them on their face.
Wipes recipe #2
12-15 drops of on guard or purify essential oil blend
¼ cup of natural baby shampoo
1 cup distilled water
This wipe will have a little cleansing action for extra dirty hands.
6. Internally. Use essential oils in combination to enhance their germ fighting benefits. The essential oils of On Guard (dōTERRA’s natural defense blend), Oregano, and Thyme are a critical part of your family’s protection plan. At the onset of any infection this combination used internally by capsule ingestion or on the bottom of the feet can offer quick relief and elimination.
- Make 00 size capsules of 8 drops oregano, 5 drops on guard and 3 drops frankincense. Then take the capsules internally twice daily. Remember, you want to start taking essential oils at the very onset of a little tickle, before the microbes proliferate to have the best results.
- Quickly ingest some On-guard™. For the bold, drop a couple drops in your mouth and swallow hard. For the less bold, put two drops in two tablespoons of water or juice and “shoot it”. For children you can add the drops to a tablespoon of honey. For those used to taking your medication in a sugary, syrupy, alcohol base, you can add two drops to a sugar cube and eat it (Mary Poppins calls it a spoonful of sugar). Take internally every two hours as symptoms persist.
- Another essential oil often effective for fighting cold and flu, especially because of it’s anti-viral and anti-pathogenic qualities is “oregano”. Oregano is a hot oil, and if you use it externally, it’s best to use it on the bottom of the feet with a carrier, especially with children. If you take it internally, place 3 drops in a gel cap. For the bold, you can drink it with a small amount of water or juice, but be prepared to chase it with some milk, as it is not comfortable to take internally. Take a gel cap 3 times per day till symptoms subside. To make it even more effective, add a drop of on-guard to the gel cap as well.
- Also consider one or two drops each of peppermint, melaleuca and lemon
- Gargle twice daily with 1 drop oregano, 2 drops on guard, and 2 drops lemon in 1 or 2 tblspns of pure water. After gargling for 5-10 minutes, swallow the mixture.
7. Topical. Consider other protocols for specific symptoms. Breathe to the chest, neck and back for respiratory issues, digest-zen (often in a capsule with frankincense) for nausea or digestive problems. Oregano or Cinnamon and Lemon as a gargle for sore throats.
- Topical Chest rub: Create a chest rub by mixing 2 drops each of peppermint, eucalyptus and cypress. For children add to a teaspoon of carrier oil (fractionated coconut oil). Apply to the chest with a massage and use a lymph node massage. (under the jaw, and along the length of the neck) Apply every two hours; continue for 2 applications even after symptoms subside. Use caution with children. Keep out of eyes. Also apply the mixture to the bottom of the feet.
- Topical Chest rub: Breathe™ or a blend of lemon, peppermint and lavender.
- For miserable fever, massage several drops of peppermint oil to the bottom of the feet. You may apply to the forehead as well. (Use a carrier with children, use caution not to get in eyes.)
7. Supplements. Maintain the basis of personal health through appropriate supplementation. Using dōTERRA Lifelong Wellness pack has immune sustaining benefits for your entire family. With an ORAC score of nearly 6000 per serving, every cell in your body is fortified.
8. AromaTouch Technique. Do twice daily aromatouch treatments. Look up the method on http://www.aroma-touch.com and use Virgin Coconut oil as a carrier for the recommended oils. Add the blend breathe and single thyme to Inflammatory reduction phase.
9. Proper rest.
One of the most important rules of prevention is getting plenty of proper rest. Sleep disorders, including not getting enough deep sleep (REM) time, Dysomnias, Hypopnea, Parasomnias, and Anxiety are all dangerous disorders that can at the least reduce the effectiveness of the immune system, and cause other far more dangerous and complex problems. This is a topic for another meeting in more detail, suffice to say that Lavender, Ylang Ylang and the blend Serenity™ are oils that can be topically applied or diffused to aid in getting proper rest.
10. Minimize Stress
Again a topic for another day, however consider that essential oils are well known for improving feelings of well-being and attitude. Elevation™, Balance™, Lavender and several other essential oils have proven very effective.
For children that can’t take internal treatments, use appropriate oils on their feet, chest and using the spinal treatment.
Note for infants
Essential oils are great for infants; they are very effective on the bottoms of the feet. If you apply topically to the chest or back, be sure to use a carrier oil, and cover the area with clothing so the infant cannot transfer oils to his/her eyes. Using diffusers in infant’s rooms is fine.
- Tweets that mention How to Use Essential Oils to Fight Germs « healingmom.org -- Topsy.com pingbacked on 4 years, 7 months ago